Electrotherapy and Modalities
TENS – Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation
- TENS is part of a treatment plan in order to control pain, and it is used as part of a drug-free, non-addictive and non-invasive pain management.
- TENS is not painful or uncomfortable; it feels like a light tingling sensation on the skin when the current is active.
- The TENS method works by obstructing the transmission of pain messages that get delivered to the brain. It also creates the release of endorphins, which are our body’s natural painkiller
IFC – Interferential Current
- Ultrasound is a painless way to stimulate injured tissue and promote faster healing.
- Ultrasound uses a high frequency sound wave that can penetrate to a localized area to ease and reduce muscle spasms, break up scar tissue and adhesions as well as calcium deposits, reduce inflammation, and also increase soft tissue extensibility.
- Ultrasound is applied directly to the skin and it is a great way to heal soft tissues, such as whiplash and sports injury treatment
- Moist Heat is a practical modality usually used to aid with muscle spasm or stiff muscles acquired through certain types of injures. It can be applied to various areas of the body.
- Moist Heat can also be used in combination with electrotherapy to enhance the healing process.
- Often moist heat is an excellent first step to allow the body to relax to allow easier manual therapy.
- Ice application can help reduce pain and swelling caused by injuries helping you to recover more quickly.
- Ice application can also be used in combination with electrotherapy.
Related Posts on Electrotherapy & Modalities
Treating Running Injuries as a Physiotherapist I had a wonderful experience this past weekend at...
Recently Absolute PhysioCare & Sports Rehab in Burnaby has had many clients requiring plantar...
Individualized Electrotherapy and Modalities Treatment
If you have questions about any of the above mentioned modalities make sure to ask your physiotherapist during your session. We’re here not only to help you feel better but for you to gain a better understanding of how your body works and how to better maintain your health in the future.
Absolute PhysioCare’s physiotherapy clinic located in Burnaby, between New Westminster, Port Moody & Coquitlam.
BOOK YOUR THERAPY SESSION
Our highly qualified therapists are committed to listening to your needs and providing one on one care in order for you to feel your best!