What is Metatarsalgia?
Metatarsalgia is pain or inflammation in the ball of the foot (metatarsal).
A Client’s Experience
I have a client who came in to our Burnaby Sports Physiotherapy Clinic with severe pain at the ball of his foot and was quite concerned as he was in the middle of his marathon training. The pain was quite severe that it was limiting his daily activities especially with running and plyometric exercises (jumping). My client was quite determined to continue with his training that he pushed through the pain until he was no longer able to continue.
His treatment included:
- A detailed and thorough assessment and evaluation which included range of motion of his lower extremities, strength testing, balance, alignment and special tests for the ankle and foot
- Assessed his footwear – worn out footwear – required to change his footwear
- Completed a gait scan analysis
- Soft tissue work of his lower extremity and foot, Laser therapy and Acupuncture therapy
- Custom foot orthotics to decrease the pressure off the joints in his toes. Metatarsal pads were inserted to relieve pressure off the metatarsals and protect the balls of his feet. Correct arch supports were provided to prevent or minimize future problems.
The pain at the ball of his foot decreased gradually that he was able to continue with his goal of training for his upcoming marathon! The laser and acupuncture treatment was effective. The orthotics absorbed a lot of the shock and provided good arch support when he was running and playing sports.
“A great big thank you to the team at Absolute as I am now pain free! The orthotics feel amazing and I am able to run longer distances because of you. The treatment provided was extremely effective and I recommend this place to everyone. “ – Oliver, S.
About Our Burnaby Sports Rehabilitaion Clinic
If you have any questions regarding your health and wellness, we welcome everyone in the Burnaby, Coquitlam, New Westminster and surrounding area to call us at 604-558-2273, contact us online, or drop by. We are always happy to help you with your journey to wellness!
This blog was created by Shaila Jiwa, Physiotherapist at Absolute PhysioCare & Sports Rehab.